[meteorite-list] Please read this. Bryan Scarborough still at it!

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:35:47 -0500

MikeG, list,
I have never done business with Scarborough nor have I ever met him. I only know of him through this list.
I understand your confusion because I did have a bad experience with a Mifflin meteorite but, it has since been completely explained and anybody effected was quickly refunded their money.
For the record; In a nut shell what happened is this;
I purchased a find from Mifflin that later turned out to be a "throw down" (meteorite used to adjust either a metal detector or to give a visual comparison) left behind.
I sent this pristine fully crusted find to be cut and sold by a well known dealer. I never saw the interior of this cut stone or I would have recognized it as odd and the NWA fall it turned out to be.
It was re-sold and I was alerted to it's odd morphology by a buyer I had never met before. I called the dealer selling the material and he told me another well known dealer told him it was a likely second lithology of Mifflin. Had I not been told this the sales would have ended then.
Long story short; the stone turned out to be a throw down from a different hunter.
This story was believable because the stone was found the day after another stone had been found in the same area.
This is where it gets interesting.
The day the first stone was found and announced with much excitement , the land owner came outside and proclaimed it had been found on her land and she demanded it be handed over to her. The finder argued that it was found on the side of the road but, the lady insisted the road belonged to her as it was built on her land.
When the finder refused to give up the meteorite she demanded everyone they had to leave or she would have the police remove them. This meant that everyone left in a hurry. Apparently leaving behind a throw "down". This throw down was found by a different hunter the next day and subsequently sold to me. At the time I did not know where this stone was found. This info was reveled to me later but, he too says the lady could not prove the road belonged to her so he too kept it.
Due to possible litigation against me because I cannot prove or dis-prove this story I chose to write this off as "experience" and we paid back all buyers of this stone but, to this day we have not had a single piece returned to us. I guess people chose to keep this material along with the full refunds we gave.
I truly hope they flushed it all down the toilet as this has caused much grief and confusion. In any case I hope this clears things up.
Carl Esparza
Meteoritemax
--
Cheers