[meteorite-list] Bryan Scarborough still at it!

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:04:12 -0500

Hi Brandon and List,

Thanks so much for this warning and going public with it. You are
doing a valuable service to the meteorite community as a whole.

I have noticed a DISTURBING trend in the meteorite world lately, and
that is secrecy involving members who have fallen from grace by
offering bogus specimens.

Without Jason Utas coming forward and going public, non-IMCA members
would have never known that their collections were compromised by
Scarborough-Esparza bogus Mifflin affair where NWA chondrites like
Chergach/Bassi were being sold as Mifflin.

To all of the "watchdog" groups out there who are supposedly
safeguarding the integrity of the market - STOP BEING SECRETIVE about
the wrongdoings of your members. By sweeping their misdeeds under the
rug, you are doing to entire community a disservice and acting as
accomplices in the destruction of the integrity of collections of
non-members who are not privy to the internal business/wrongdoings of
the group. The entire community, members or not, have a RIGHT to now
if their collections are comprised by your members. Stop trying to
salvage the damaged reputation of your group by hiding the crimes of
disgraced members. This secrecy is backfiring because many of us are
informed collectors who are not pushovers or fools - we know what is
going on, despite the best attempts to cover it up. It's only making
the group worse than it really is.

The next time one of the members of these groups engages in criminal
or unethical activity, do not limit the announcement to your own
members - TELL THE PUBLIC. We have a right to know. If not, informed
collectors are going to start taking their business elsewhere.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com