[meteorite-list] Ebay heads up - Tissint/Scarborough

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:32:45 -0500

Sorry again list. I was so rattled I forgot to sign off with my name!
Sincerely
Don Merchant

Hi Count and Kudos' to you! You bring up some very real and serious points.
I hope I don't upset anyone with this post. I have this huge pet peeve of
those that sell meteorites without listing, mentioning and or providing a
Provenance on meteorites whether it be on eBay or their Websites.You don't
go out and purchase a used car without asking for a car fax or asking
questions before purchasing it, and so the same should also be done when
interested in purchasing a meteorite from anyone, be it eBay or Dealer
Website or any other form of Auctions. I refuse to purchase any meteorite
from anyone without this provenance or at the least asking the Seller on a
meteorites history. As I have said before, meteorites don't grow on trees!
They arrived in the Sellers possession from somewhere and or from someone
other then those meteorites that have been found. Those meteorites found
would most likely and better have been sent to a lab for testing and
verification so as to start some form of provenance. I highly recommend to
ALL Sellers/Collectors and Dealers to inquire the validity of meteorites
they intend to purchase. SAVE this provenance label or paper of history so
the next future buyer can have a copy of it for his or her records. I find
it sloppy professionalism to those who can not provide provenance time and
time again on meteorites they sell. Though an ID card helps...the truth is
anyone can make up an ID card. A provenance can be traced to the former
owner and more questions can then be brought up on the specimens validity.
Consider it a blood line so to speak or family tree! Hope I did not offend
anyone with my views. I am just trying to protect all of you and your
collections including mine by enacting professional organized record keeping
practices.
Sincerely
Don Merchant