[meteorite-list] Something is rotten on the web, on eBay, and with a certain seller.... & they try to sell fake lunars in the past

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 11:17:51 -0700

HI all,

I think that anyone who asks an IMCA dealer for provenance of a specimen
should expect to get it. IMCA member dealers should be held to a higher
authority if they want to be respected as IMCA members. I would think that
this is part of membership, but I could be wrong (since I'm not a member).
If IMCA member dealers don't give out provenance when asked for it, this
could be considered deception... which looks bad on them and the IMCA. Or
maybe I'm missing out on what the IMCA is about. This is what the first two
sentences on the IMCA home page says:

"The International Meteorite Collectors Association (IMCA Inc.) has one
primary purpose: helping Meteorite Collectors in their search for Authentic
Meteorites for their collections and assisting others in helping to learn
more about meteorites. Whether they are new to the Meteorite World or very
knowledgeable, we want all Collectors to buy/trade with confidence from our
Members, knowing that every item will be exactly what it is represented to
be."

It seems pretty obvious to me. How can we, as buyers, buy WITH CONFIDENCE
when the seller doesn't provide information when requested? If there are
"trade secrets" (e.g. "Exactly where was the specimen found?" when the
finder hasn't disclosed that info), then I understand why a dealer wouldn't
disclose that info. But provenance should not be considered a trade secret.
I'm not trying to single out Shawn. I've never had any dealings with him and
I'm sure he is a good person, so I am just saying all of this "in general"
for all of the meteorite community. If you look at Anne Black's website
(http://www.impactika.com/MetList.htm), you will see that she mentions the
provenance for about 95% of her stock.

For those who are worried that a potential buyer will go over a dealer's
head directly to the source, the source person has probably not dealt with
the potential buyer (otherwise they would already be in discussions), and
the source person will not want to have to deal with a new person because
there is a lot of risk when starting up a business rapport with a new buyer.

BTW, I don't know Bill and have never dealt with him either, so I'm not
taking his side because of anything personal.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Regards,

Bob L