[meteorite-list] Meteorwrongs and Meteorites

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:09:43 +0200

Short practical question, Carl, if you don't mind?

Up to which monetary sum you'd think it would be justified to measure random
stones, in the hope to find once an unknown meteorite species?

(And what would the gain for mankind, to have found such, regarding the used
financial means, which could be spend for other problems?)

And seen all the new finds of the recent two decades, where so many really
weird rocks were among them,
how meaningful and efficient would be that method,
compared to the output of that system of meteorite experts (private and
"institutional" ones", doesn't matter) from the cold and hot deserts
or compared to the method, simply to wait until such an unknown type will
fall freshly on our heads?

(Anyway, best and cost-free method to find uncommon meteorites, is simply to
keep the hot deserts open for everyone. IMHO)

>I admire the Scientists that are willing to look beyond

Though historically, the concept of the scientific "martyr" is quite a
romanticizing....

Skol!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----