[meteorite-list] Meteorwrongs and Meteorites

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:42:20 -0400

Martin,
You said;
"-Up to which monetary sum you'd think it would be justified to measure random
stones, in the hope to find once an unknown meteorite species?"

The short answer is; Never.

Why should we ever spend any money on *random* stones?

I am not talking about any random stones. Those should always be looked at at face value.

I am talking about legitimate prospects brought to science by knowledgeable hunters. What I mean by knowledgeable hunter is this.
A hunter that knowns meteorites and has a general knowledge of earth rocks.
One that recognizes the true characteristics of most meteorites and their mineralogy.
One with a keen eye to distinguish odd rocks from the rest of the rocks in any particular area. This is mush the same as setting your metal detector to discriminate from the rest of the regular rocks in the area. You have to discriminate with your eyes and ask yourself questions.
Like; what in the heck is that rock doing here? or Why would such a strange rock be sitting on top of this heap? or Look at all of these dinosour bones lying around, why would this giant piece of iron be sitting on top of it? Or, Why would this rock be sitting on top of solid rock as far as the eyes can see?
The point is; if it does not fit it might be a meteorite. Just like farmer described his recent acquisition. Although in his case a simple nickel test is all it would take to find out.
 By the way many Pawn shops and jewelry stores now have equipment to quickly and cheaply check for nickel and many of the other elements found in meteorites. So, no need to bother scientists for the basic info.
I am sure many other hunters can add to the list of attributes of a good hunter but, the study of the known meteorites and what they look like will tell you that meteorites can and do look many different ways.
The best examples that come to mind for odd balls in GRA 06128, 9. these rocks are the first andesite meteorites. They are clearly from a previously unknown planetary body. And had they not been found on the Ice field they may never have been discovered. In other words they look nothing like what meteorites look like. At least until now.
The other great discovery of late is Almahata sitta. This material is so strange that every piece found had to be tested for age on Earth. This because it has so many different lithologies that in previous finds it would have been deemed at least 6 different falls. I guess extra money has been spent on this but we now know that single falls can and do produce very different lithologies all within the same fall.
Good thing we tracked this thing or we would still not know this. Thanks Richard.
This actually opens the door to ask a huge question;
Which other falls / finds previously identified as unique are actually from the same fall? Whereas before we always assumed they were simply overlapping strewnfields. Maybe some of them fell together?
Carl.

-
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax