[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:36:16 -0400

Greetings Count, Adam, Martin, Shawn and curious onlookers,

As we all know, at this point in the NWA timeline, meteorites are not
exclusively sold to one wholesaler or dealer. These meteorites are
"shopped around the block" to multiple wholesalers/dealers. So, if
NWA 5400 turned up in the Hupe inventory, you can bet your bottom
dollar that the same meteorite will show up in other dealer
inventories under a different NWA number(s). The salient difference
is, as Adam said, the pairing must be backed up by solid science and
not a visual comparison or casual comparison. We have seen no less
than 2 pairing claims so far and I am sure more will be forthcoming as
time goes on. But, unless the pairings have been microprobed and have
had O-isotope analysis done, then they cannot be announced as official
pairings. As the Count said, provenance is everything.

The NWA catalogue system was put into place to help control this
chaotic flood of specimens pouring out of the Sahara. Eventually,
science will sort out the tangled web of NWA numbers and the finds
will begin to group together under solid pairings which represent a
single find or fall. Until that time, we are all participating in
science to some degree by having these specimens classified and
analyzed. We are contributing to the overall puzzle picture by
putting these small pieces into place.

As as Dr. Vann and Martin Altmann said, the majority of us do NOT
collect for financial return. Sure, some of us make a few bucks on
deals, but I imagine very few people make a comfortable full-time
living from dealing meteorites - the money is just too inconsistent
and the marketplace is too fickle. We collect for a variety of
reasons, and for some us, we like to think we are doing something
positive that contributes to the sciences in addition to enriching our
collection cabinets. I know that my collection will be donated to a
worthy institution when I pass from this Earth, so anything that goes
into my cabinet is not being acquired for the purpose of making a buck
in the future. That doesn't mean I haven't sold some specimens I'd
rather keep to pay bills, but resale value never comes to mind when I
acquire something for my personal stash collection. Now, my resale
inventory is an entirely different ballgame, and I do consider the
financial aspect when buying something to resell, but that is just one
aspect of my passion for meteorites and it is not the overriding
factor.

I just thought of something funny I was discussing with another
collector recently. We were discussing how meteorites have little
intrinsic value in financial terms or survival terms. You can't eat
one (unless it's Novo Urei), you can't pay the electric company with
one, and grocery stores will not accept them. So, if the system/grid
collapses, what good is a meteorite collection? I told my friend, all
of that may be true, but I can put a 500g chondrite into a tube sock
and hit someone over the head with it and take their food. LOL So,
if the grid collapses and all collectibles become worthless, then just
remember that meteorites are very heavy and would make fine weapons.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com