[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:21:43 +0200

Hi Greg S.,

the Martians and the Lunars are the best documented meteorites of all and
are also those meteorites, where the most research is currently done on
(together with the carbonaceous ones).
Martians & Lunars are the last anonym meteorites of all.

Find all about the lunaites here:
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites_list_alumina.htm

If you click in the list on the very name/number
a page opens, with pictures,
all members of the group,
all entries in the Bulletins
aaaaaand all papers and abstracts (those clickable) published about that
very lunaite
also the most recent ones.

On top you find a short note, which points make that lunar special.

Below the list of publications, you can click the chemical classification,
Opening another page, where you find that particular lunar placed in the
various chemical diagrams with the other lunars.

Cool, isn't it?

Such a website for Martians is also in progress:
http://www.imca.cc/mars/martian-meteorites.htm

Furthermore, here you have all Martians and Lunars and how they belong
together at a glance with pics of the main masses as well as of
collector-sized slices:
http://www.meteoris.de/

And if nothing helps,
then - like always - David Weir is your best friend:

http://www.meteoritestudies.com/

Conflicting information I can't remember with the Martians.
Well, and there was so far only one Martian, that NWA 2975++, where, because
it produced so many small pebbles,
a few sold supposedly paired material for the quick buck unclassified.

Well in general,
not only with NWA, with the observed falls it's often the same too.
That private collecting market is so fast,
most material is sold and bought while the official classification process
is still running.
Often enough it can take 2 years, until a stone will be published in the
Bulletin.
And with the very tricky ones, where the classification is everything else
than trivial, it can take even longer.
And if classification is finished, that doesn't mean that research is
finished. Of course it continues.

You saw it just a few weeks back here on the list,
where in an CV3 from NWA with an old 2000er number, the CAIs were measured
to be 2 million years older than usually, which in turn led the scientist,
to postulate, that we need a new model of chondrules and planet formation.
Isn't that great? From such a desert-stinker, from NWA, where we here on the
list sometimes quibble, whether 10$ a gram is adequate, or 15$ a rip-off or
insist, that it has to cost 5$,
there a whole new model can emanate, how World was created!

Skol!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----