[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:19:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Greg S and Listers,
?
Now the slight problem I have with NWA's is that you really don't know how much of that?stuff is out there. That can work in your favor and against you. So lets say you found an NWA and its about 1000g and?you get it tested and its a new NWN. Now you can say?its rare because?there is only 1000g, but do you really know that for sure? From what I have seen, its not?the case, and?NWAs keep getting paired with each other more time then not.... I think that's why I tend to stay away from NWA's for that reason and others. Plus it seems that every meteorite is unique in its own right and some bank off that uniqueness and rarity to pump up the price in the NWA market. But once more is found, that type isn't that rare anymore, so that's why I stick with the historic falls, cause that event can only happen once and there is a rich history and legacy to back up that meteorite.
?
Also?the NWA?5400 is speculated to have a connection with Earth. Now?in my own opinion if this was the find of the century, wouldn't you think there would be more research papers written about this monumental find that some people praise it to be? All?I can find are 2?papers and the second paper?doesn't?even seem that promising. Good example is Almahata Sitta. That meteorite has been around since NWA 5400 and there is so much information and papers upon papers?about this meteorite, and?the research hasn't stop, but for the NWA 5400, its?is a trickle, 2 papers whats up with that? Again, the evidence isnt there and a swashy?thought out theory, which other theories have been brough up about the NWA 5400 and where it came from, more evidence please.?
?
But at the end of the day people have their reasons why they collect and some are drawn to classifications and others to historic falls. The good thing for any collector is to do research and learn what they are?going to buy before?they buy it. Also?they learn alot more about meteorites in the process and gain a since of understanding of where meteorites came to be.
?
If any one has the?time, check out this link below, its a great paper written?by Ursula B. Marvin, explaining the?beginning of meteorites from a historical and scientific perspective.
?
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1996M%26PS...31..545M
?
Shawn Alan