[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:22:26 -0700 (PDT)

Shawn wrote:

Now the slight problem I have with NWA's is that you really don't know how much
of that stuff is out there. That can work in your favor and against you. So
lets say you found an NWA and its about 1000g and you get it tested and its a
new NWN. Now you can say its rare because there is only 1000g, but do you
really know that for sure? From what I have seen, its not the case, and NWAs
keep getting paired with each other more time then not.... I think that's why I
tend to stay away from NWA's for that reason and others.

This issue is not unique to NWA meteorites. The same thing could be said for
Antarctic or other desert finds. Yes, Antarctica is a desert. The same issue
applies to falls. How much Allende is really out there? Nobody knows for sure,
the same can be said for Murchison. You can make the same claim for just about
any fall. I have seen collectors financially burned on falls many times, myself
among them. I have lost more value by collecting new falls than I have
collecting finds. This is why I tend to stay away from new falls. The price
drops off sharply within a few months once the initial excitement disappears.

I lost a small fortune on New Orleans and Claxton by letting the market
determine the value by putting them up for auction with no reserves.

Happy Hunting, Long live the finds because without them we would have no lunar
meteorites,

Adam