[meteorite-list] '100 percent' chance for life on newlyfoundplanet?

From: ted brattstrom <volcanoted_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:47:52 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha

Alas, WCX was operating in the "AM" band - a bit above 500kHz - and these signals don't do a very good job at getting out of the ionosphere.

http://www.michiguide.com/history/am.html

To get ETs attention, you have to wait until VHF signals start to be emitted from planet earth - and fairly high power at that... As was noted in the book Contact (Sagan) - that gets us into the 1930s... The Berlin Olympics and the Coronation of King George VI - these transmitters were operating around 50MHz, and those signals could make it through the ionosphere.... So - the 1936 timeframe is the crucial one for our radio envelope expansion. (after that we start getting noisier!!! Military radars, TV programs, and all)

moving on:

Having read Part 97 of the FCC regulations (the part that regulates Amateur Radio) - I don't see any part that prohibits me from grabbing a 300+ meter dish, a 1500 watt amplifier, and beaming a signal to Space using any acceptable coding system approved for use in the amateur bands. I'd have to use appropriate frequencies in the Amateur Radio Spectrum & I'd have to identify myself using my callsign (NH6YK) in English / International Phonetics / or International Morse Code / (or in the medium (RTTY/FSTV/SSTV etc) being used)

So - 1296MHz at 1500W to the star of your choice??? seems legal to me - Unless - of course - the entities of the star/planet in question have registered (I think it's the ITU) that amateur radio communications are prohibited between amateurs of our country and their "people/amateurs"

(since we are not transmitting to an Earth satellite - it is not subject to the sub-rules for the Amateur Satellite Service :-) :-) )

Cheers - 73 and aloha - ted - nh6yk