[meteorite-list] '100 percent' chance for life on newlyfoundplanet?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:58:21 -0500

There is a wrinkle here. Early broadcasts are too low
in power to make us very radio-bright. But after WWII,
the energy and the wider spectrum make our profile
soar to phenomenal levels. TV was a major contributor
to our emergence as a bright radio source, astronomically.

Then, in the 70's, we begin the switch to satellites which
direct signals downward (to absorption) and in the 80's
to optical lines. The radio brightness declined as we got
more efficient with signals and receptions and went to
more contained data transmission methods.

But since the 90's our radio-brightness has been creeping
back up again, due to the sheer volume of spectrum usage
and new devices. I'm certain that eventually we get back
to astronomical brightnesses; growth of humanity will
take us there.

By the time we inhabit the entire solar system in vast
numbers, we be one of the brighter radio sources in
the galaxy over a wide range of bands. Imagine trillions
of interplanetary cellphones. Imagine thousands of
navigation beacons. Imagine a vast network of deep
space radars tracking millions of "rocks."

We will GLOW.

And so would any other system-wide interplanetary
civilization. Where are they? No sign.

As for the argument that they would use something
more "sophisticated" that electromagnetic radiation...
it is wrong, for economic reasons. It will always be
possible to transmit more bits of information at a lower
cost in energy via the EM spectrum than by any other
means.

We will always swim in the EM soup.

Sterling K. Webb