[meteorite-list] Arizona strewnfields?

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:00:20 -0600

Hi List,

I will be staying for a few months near Phoenix (Apache Junction) from
December, and I am really interested in trying to find my first meteorite.
I'll have a BMW R1100GS and Jeep Liberty available for transport, and a
degree in geology and a Gold Bug 2 to aid detection, but I am sort of
stumped as to where to go and look. As far as I can tell the strewn fields
I know about (Franconia, Gold Basin, Holbrook) are all in high desert and
probably under white stuff. Can anyone suggest any locations within reach
where snow won't be an issue and a novice might have a reasonable chance
of success? I was also wondering whether there are any meteorite
collections in the area that I could visit? Thanks in advance for any
advice.

Kind regards,
John