[meteorite-list] Arizona strewnfields?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:31:10 -0800

Hi John, For meteorite collections or places to visit in Northern
Arizona, a must see is Meteor Crater. Though not really a collection,
there you can view the large Holsinger (Canyon Diablo) iron meteorite,
and of course the massive crater.

As for meteorite strewnfields, the only documented publicly
available/known strewnfields in Arizona are the Franconia, Gold Basin,
and Holbrook meteorite strewnfields. Whetstone Mountains is near Tucson,
but that information is unavailable and it's very tough hunting out
there. Many professional meteorite hunters hunted it for months and very
few stones were recovered due to the very small size of the fall. Though
this is an historic fall location, there's probably not much left out
there. There are also probably other strewnfields in Arizona, but
they're not publicly documented or released.

There are other private meteorite colletions and collectors and
professional meteorite hunters who live in Arizona, and some might be
nice enough to help you out and point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

HAPPY HUNTING!

Regards,
Eric Wichman