[meteorite-list] Tom foolery and loosing valued members

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:53:19 -0800

Hi Ruben and all,
        Good input. However, there are other factors to consider:
The list was MUCH more conflicted 10 years ago (can you imagine
It is actually LESS conflicted now?) We had Michal Casper (oh, what
Fun he was), Michael Farmer periodically going "mad dog" and
A several others that have been permanently removed for attacks
And/or obscenity.
      Can you IMAGINE what it would be like if it all went back to that?
      It is too bad when people drift off course and 80 others jump into
The fray debating tangential issues ad infinitum. I agree. However,
It truly is better than 10 years ago.
        It is a shame when old members opt out. I, for one, have learned
Not to follow threads of little interest; which leads me to a request I
Have made in the past, the violation of which I think is quite rude and
very common: CHANGE THE TITLE IN THE SUBJECT BOX WHEN
A THREAD CHANGES. This one element alone would allow everyone
Not interested in a given topic to skip ALL posts with the subject box
As is - however, I find I HAVE to check every few postings regardless
Of the subject box topic, as people (most - not a few, but most people)
Do NOT change the subject box when they change the subject!
Please, please do so for the sake of the list members who will NOT read
Your post if your post has a subject in the box with which they feel
saturated.
        That said, we all owe a tribute to Art for maintaining an even keel
and allowing as much freedom as possible while not letting things get
(and stay) hard core funky.
        Here's to Art!
        Thanks, Michael