[meteorite-list] Extra-solar material?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 10:04:43 -0600

I recall an analysis that predicted the rate we might encounter
extrasolar material, and it was high enough to suggest that the Earth
has actually crossed paths with such stuff. But statistically, the
velocity of extrasolar material is likely to be very high- well above
the solar escape velocity- and we know both empirically and
theoretically that this doesn't bode well for meteorite production.

Extrasolar meteors have probably occurred; extrasolar meteorites seem
unlikely.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory