[meteorite-list] Extra-solar material?

From: Norbert Classen <riffraff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 17:01:47 +0200

Hi Mark,

The nano diamonds in Allende CAI's are considered to be samples of
extra-solar origin; at least they show isotopic values that don't match with
any of the other values measured for materials of our solar system
(including meteorites).

I believe there were studies of other (Antarctic) carbonaceous chondrites
which also were shown to be from other systems, but right now I don't
remember the exact publication. Should have been in MAPS, but I would have
to look this up, first. Bernd: do you have an idea where I might have read
about it?

But as far as I know no meteorite as such has been considered as
"extra-solar", so far - these are always inclusions, and most of them are
microscopically small.

All the best,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

I'm reading Paul Davies' "The Fifth Miracle". In chapter 6 it refers to the
1996 discovery by Taylor, Baggaley and Steel of inter-stellar dust particles
entering the earth's atmosphere in the form of fast (>
70-km/s) meteors:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v380/n6572/abs/380323a0.html

It got me wondering as to whether there are any candidates for meteorites
which may be of extra-solar origin. Are there any? How would they be
identified - a suspiciously long CRE age would perhaps be one indicator?

Mark

--
Mark's Meteorite Pages: http://meteorites.cc