[meteorite-list] Extra-solar material?

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 19:28:35 +0100

There's a PDF of the full paper linked from the abstract. If the results
are correct (it's 12 years old, I don't know if the findings have been
challenged since) then we would seem to have a steady stream of
interstellar particles from at least 2 discrete extra-solar sources.

I wonder if there would be value in a Stardust-like probe - perhaps in
Earth orbit - aimed at trapping micrometeor particles before the impact
the atmosphere. Or even the high-altitude 'fly paper' flights, intended
to sample interplanetary dust particles (McSween refers to this in Ch 1
of MATPP). Either approach would seem to offer the opportunity to
realise a proportion of specimens which originate from outside our
system. I've no idea how they would be positively identified as such,
however.

--
Mark's Meteorite Pages: http://meteorites.cc