[meteorite-list] Extra-solar material?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 11:11:04 -0700

Hi all,
        I have never been strong on the scientific side of meteoritics.
However, would such material entering the earth's atmosphere
at ultra super speeds POSSIBLY be responsible the Tunguska
Event, where "evidence" was blown to smithereens?
        Best wishes, Michael

on 5/3/08 6:02 AM, Mark Crawford at mark at meteorites.cc wrote:

> I'm reading Paul Davies' "The Fifth Miracle". In chapter 6 it refers to
> the 1996 discovery by Taylor, Baggaley and Steel of inter-stellar dust
> particles entering the earth's atmosphere in the form of fast (>
> 70-km/s) meteors:
>
> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v380/n6572/abs/380323a0.html
>
> It got me wondering as to whether there are any candidates for
> meteorites which may be of extra-solar origin. Are there any? How
> would they be identified - a suspiciously long CRE age would perhaps be
> one indicator?
>
> Mark

'Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the
attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way
your mind looks at what happens.' --Kahlil Gibran