[meteorite-list] Pronouncing Willamette and other meteorite names

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 00:39:13 -0400

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:23:47 -0600, you wrote:

>always assumed it was (approximately) ah-YEN-dey. Is it something other
>than you would expect for standard Spanish?

Actually, now that you mention it, that makes since, but I, personally, have
never given the Spanish factor a first thought, and have always thought of it as
"al-len-de". It just never crossed my mind for a moment to pronounce it
"ah-yen-dey". (I also don't call llama yama, or Lloyd's Of London Yoyds of
London-- nothing wrong wth Anglification of words adopted into English).