[meteorite-list] morrocan and americain influence on pairing

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:27:47 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/2007 2:49:29 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
gmhupe at htn.net writes:

As far as the Moroccan influence in pairing issues, if you waited until you
received an NWA number for your batch of Martian material than a dozen
people would not have to get a dozen different NWA numbers. You have the
chance to do things right as far as this goes so why create such a problem.
Adam offered his material to a world market but all his material has one NWA
number, not a dozen like in the Moroccan marketing plan. There is a big
difference.

I agree with Greg only as far as this is concerned.
The problem could and should be taken care of at the source.
It would be relatively easy for Moroccan dealers to get together when a new
meteorite appears, like the new one from Mali or this Lodranite or the
many-numbered Shergottite. You could put the whole mass aside and send just one
sample of 20 grams to the University of Casablanca. You would probably get a
response with a month or 2 and then you could all put the meteorite on the
market at the same time. And with just ONE number.

And American/German/...etc dealers who go to Morocco and manage to grab a
new meteorite before you do, could certainly do that exact same thing: get
together, get only one number, and send only one piece to a lab. And just think
how much you would save! instead of sending 8 to 12 times 20g, you would send
only one 20g piece, shared by that many people, that reduces the cost
enormously.

Please do not tell me it is impossible. During the Denver Show, Blaine Reed
and I bought the 2 halves of one meteorite, probably a Ureilite, and we agreed
 to send one piece to UCLA, to get one number, and we will release it on the
market at the same time, after we get the full report from Alan Rubin. So yes
it is possible. And it is not difficult.

I certainly wish other dealers would be as willing to collaborate as
Blaine!.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com