[meteorite-list] morrocan and americain influence on pairing

From: PolandMET <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:55:57 +0200

> I agree with Greg only as far as this is concerned.
> The problem could and should be taken care of at the source.
> It would be relatively easy for Moroccan dealers to get together when a
> new
> meteorite appears, like the new one from Mali or this Lodranite or the
> many-numbered Shergottite. You could put the whole mass aside and send
> just one
> sample of 20 grams to the University of Casablanca. You would probably get
> response with a month or 2 and then you could all put the meteorite on the
> market at the same time. And with just ONE number.

Dear Annie
This could happend in ideal world, and we not live there :)
In Morocco live not 5 dealers but maybe 50 or 100 bigger or smaller,
moroccans, nomads and who else work with our stones.
Some are more educated in meteorites some less, some deals only with
meteorites and some only from time to time. Its just impossible to organize
them. They protecting their sources and they customers from each other. This
is competition who find more meteorites and sell more expensive.

Also how we could get one number for our stones if we live all over the
world ? We also protect our sources, everyone want be first to offer new
material and noone will wait for me or for You till You show what You have
and You send samples or photos to compare etc.Yep, how we can be sure that
we all have the same material and we can all together send only one 20g
sample ? Comparing on photos ? Not. Sending slices to every other dealer to
compare my material with Yours ? Not. Tell You where I bough it ? I dont
even think that anyone tell me where he buying his stuff.

Some material show loooooong after its premiere. For example my specimen of
MC046. I dont need to be Ted Bunch to know with number its paired but I dont
make photos pairing or ask others if I can use their numbers, but make my
own classification like we all do.

So I think we must accept this situation. There is no possible to solve this
problem if beetween us and meteorites work 10 or 20 middleman's.
Even if You come to morocco and want to buy all samples of meteorites (like
Mali or latest shergottite) there will be alvays some samples that You will
not find or even they will be sold like something else (lodranite as
chondrite, lunar as eucrite) and someone else will buy it and make new
classification becouse he dont know that his 500g is part of Yours 50kg. And
at lest 500g sells better than 50kg so I dont expectthat that all dealers
will split together even if its possible.

We CARE as much as we can on meteorites in this situation. I alvays make
detailed photos of main mass before cuting, sending type specimens, looking
for possible pairings etc. But thats all I can do.

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin at meteoryty.pl
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin at meteorite.pl
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195