[meteorite-list] Meteorite or wrong

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 30 22:56:43 2006

Hi Dave,

"The difference in the two densities is around 7%. Could my measurement
error be 7%? Or, can it be hollow inside?"

Your 7.35 g/cc would be just about right if not tiny tad heavy for most cast
irons, which aren't pure iron. Hope you can do a circumference check as
that is the only way to definitively reject the idea that it was a cannon
ball, if it confirms your measurement.

Civil War didn't have any shot (solid ball) guns for something as large as 9
inches.

If it were a typical shell, it would be at least 25% lighter than a solid
ball. The gruesome idea in war is to produce lots of small shrapnel rain to
put the enemy in agony, not crack almost solid iron slug with small amounts
of powder, and larger pieces which would have less range to fly.

Whether is was used for grinding ore or chemicals in the explosive process,
it would seem pretty certain to be a grinding ball.

Best wishes, Doug