[meteorite-list] Meteorite or wrong

From: dfpens_at_comcast.net <dfpens_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 30 22:14:13 2006

Dear List:

I am always impressed with the depth and wealth of knowledge you folks possess.

Thanks for all your input on what exactly my friend might have found.

The suggestions are:

Cannonball
UFO
Minor Planet
Ore Milling Ball
Wrecking Ball
Oven Melt from Joliet Army Ammunitions Plant
Civil War Mortar Shell
Old Ship Ballast
Baron Munchhausen's Cannon Ball (my favorite)

There seems to be some question regarding the diameter of this object. Two people took measurements and both attempted to be as accurate as possible. The actual diameter most probably does not deviate from 9 1/4 inches by more than ~1/8 inch. Even considering the amount of surface that may have rusted off over time, the maximum diameter probably was not over 9 1/2 inches. Also, there is no visible port or opening for a fuse that any of us observed.

In addition, the density of iron is 491.5 lb/ft.3. I calculated the density for this ball to be 458 lb/ft3 - using a bathroom scale and the tape measure. The difference in the two densities is around 7%. Could my measurement error be 7%? Or, can it be hollow inside? More food for thought!!

Thank you Marcin, Stefan, Martin, Bill, MexicoDoug, Sterling, RB, Ed, Elton, Dave, Pete, Darren, Susan, and Jason for your thoughtful input.

Although I can't be certain of what we have, I am inclined to think that it is an old ore milling ball.

Dave