[meteorite-list] 73P in 2022?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 3 12:41:57 2006

Hi Rob -

Take a look at the Rio Curaca and Rupunini impacts,
then opine. That material came from some source, and
an SW3 debris stream makes a pretty good candidate.

Thankfully, worrying about all of this is not my job.
It's NASA Administrator Michael Griffin's, by act of
Congress.

I'm optimistic about SW3 in 2022, but not for the same
reasons you are. Given the fragment size, I think
that it is highly unlikely that they will produce
Tunguska size blasts. My guess would be some in the
5kt-15kt range, nothing bigger.

I agree with you on probable climatic effects of the
dust load, but again that is only a guess, and its not
my job to guess. It's Administrator Griffin's to know.

Its also likely it will shortly end up being NASA's
task to respond to insane claims spread on late night
talk radio about the SW3 encounter for December 2011,
January-February, 2012. Insane idiots and charlatans
rely on the public's inability to understand orbital
mechanics.

Right now the NEC astronomers are strangely not saying
too much about the 2022 encounter. We'll see.

Ed