[meteorite-list] Gibeon query

From: Paul Barford <pbarford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 3 13:46:12 2006

I am having trouble trying to find the law which apparently prohibits the
export of Gibeon meteorites from Namibia. This is mentioned as a "buy now
while stocks last" selling point on a number of meteorite dealers' websites,
but other sources suggest its interpretation is not that simple. Can anyone
tell me if this law exists and what it is called, and who would be
authorised (in theory) to issue a permit allowing it to be exported legally?
If the text is on the Internet that would be great.

I gather the law was introduced in 2003 (?) and I presume it does not work
retrospectively.Are there among us dealers who actually have the export
licence for the pieces in their stock, or does it all come from before the
introduction of the law?

This is not a trick/troll question, I am in dispute with a pseudo-dealer
over a recent transaction and would like to be surer of my ground when
discussing one of the items.

Is there a website collecting meteorite laws of different countries in one
place?

Thanks

Paul Barford