[meteorite-list] Scales - Looking for Advice

From: Martin Horejsi <accretiondesk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:02:36 -0700

Hi All,

Something to consider when weighing meteorites to the milligram is
that if the specimen is more than a gram or two, the humidity and
porosity of the specimen will affect it weight. I had a talk with
Blaine Reed about this a while ago. He mentioned that sometimes he
sells something at one weight, and when it is weighted by the
customer, a different value is found. Sure, it could be the difference
in scales, but two calibrated milligram balances are likely both
correct since the milligram is, given our pretty good technology,
still a fairly gross degree of precision. Just food for thought.

My stable of balances contains three Ohaus machines, a 2kg .1 res., a
200g .01 res and a 120g .001 res. set. For portability, I have a
digigram 10g .002 res. and an Acculab 400g .1g res machines.

Cheers,

Martin