[meteorite-list] Scales - Looking for Advice

From: Ed Deckert <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:42:44 -0500

Norbert,

I do not have much to back this up, but I have been told that electronic
scales can be "influenced" by a nearby fluorescent light fixture that has
been turned on. This would imply that an incandescent light, natural
sunlight, or some other light source that did not involve the use of
ballasts or transformers would be the best light source while using such a
scale.

I have a gram scale that runs only on AC current. It interferes greatly
with the FM radio reception in my shop whenever I use it. Perhaps the
actual issue is the fact that my scale is run by AC, and is putting some
kind of interference back through the electric lines. Or it may simply
generate some kind of RF interference that travels through the air.

With my scale causing radio problems, it makes sense that a fluorescent
light could impact my gram scale. I use a fluorescent lamp to illuminate my
shop, and it seems that I have to recalibrate the scale more frequently than
I would expect. But I wonder if the same would hold true for a battery
operated scale?

Does anyone here have any such experience with this problem?

Ed