[meteorite-list] CLASSIFICATION SERVICE - PRICE REDUCTION - AS LOW AS $69

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:48:56 -0800 (PST)

Well, our meteorite classification service is not
going quite as well as planned. When we started we
were hoping for a 3 week turnaround but was soon told
that the microprobe results would be over a month so
we were expecting six weeks turnaround.
Unfortunately we have yet to get microprobe results in
less than two months and we are actually running about
11 to 13 weeks from the time samples arrive at
bathurst observatory until when we report the final
classification. Three months is still fast to get a
common chondrite classified (I have some waiting five
years and counting from the russian academy of
sciences) so we still have an OK service although if
you have achondrites or C chondrites you can probably
get faster service for free at the usual labs.
We are working on getting this done faster but
unfortunately the equipment involved and expertise
required to run it is a little hard to obtain
affordably.
So for the next few months anyway the price has been
dropped to $79 or $69 if you send a bigger sample.
Details here:
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/class/classify.html
Hopefully we will find a faster way to get this done
and raise the price again as at $69 nobody involved is
making enough money to make this worthwhile but we do
hope that eventually we can have a fast efficiet
classification service. Those NWAs all deserve to
eventually get classified and studied. After all, all
meteorites are a fall. Wither somebody happened to be
around to watch it fall dont affect the fact that we
collect and study these rocks because they are relics
from space.
Sincerely
DEAN