[meteorite-list] I'm getting confused by the MB coordinates

From: Dave Carothers <david.carothers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 17:25:06 2006

Matteo and Walter,

I could be wrong here, but I get the distinct feeling that you are making
this an issue about the coordinates published by MB. We all know that MB
has a few typos and errors, but don't think Google Earth is the definitive
solutioin to plotting lat/lon coordinates. Google Earth is wrong in many
instances of plotting locations. Entering my home address into Google Earth
plots my home at the other end of the street. So it could very well be that
MB is correct and Google Earth is incorrect.

A cool comparison is to enter the MB lat/lon for Dunbogan into Google Earth
and see where it plots the location. Go to Map Quest and enter the same
lat/lon (Map Quest has a plotting capability based on lat/lon). You'll see
the plot is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

My point is that the issue here is not just MB.....

Dave