[meteorite-list] Moss Meteorite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 18:09:14 2006

Hello List,

Bj?rn wrote (in a private mail):

"Would like to see your comments. Also from a scientific point of view"

Here's my response (excerpts - I'm leaving out my private remarks) because
I think this is of general interest to all of us who acquired a piece of this (still)
enigmatic meteorite:

There is not very much I can say about the Moss meteorite as I don't know it in person - I've only seen some pictures so far. It looks very much like a CO or a CK chondrite. I don't believe it is a Kakangari-like meteorite (see David Weir's previous post to the List) but if it was one, that would be a blast, of course! If it is a KAK, it should have some of these characteristics:

- its oxidation state resembles that of enstatite chondrites
- there is a high abundance of pyroxene (more than olivine)
- its oxygen isotopes are comparable to those of CH or CR chondrites
- a high metal content similar to that of H chondrites.

If Jeff Kuyken's observation (see his website) about Moss chondrule size is correct, 0.25-0.30 mm, this would favor a CO classification. CK chondrites tend to have a chondrule size of 0.8 mm. KAK meteorites have a chondrule size of 0.69 mm (according to Hutchison). Jeff's estimate of the volume of chondrules (about 50%) would also favor a CO classification (40 vol %) instead of 15 vol % for CK's or 19% for KAK. Whatever it is, it is a beautiful, pristine new fall ...

Cheers,

Bernd