[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 16:15:04 2005

Meteoryt.net wrote:

>>2000 kg. is if anything....a low number. I would be surprized it the total
>>

>>weight was not twice that, if not 5000 kg. We did not see this the last
>>year, but the two Tucson shows before this year, there were a dozen Moroccan
>>

>>dealers with 100's of kg. for sale.
>>

>so hot its possible that the most popular meteorite with "his own" NWA
>number was not classified for all this years ?
>I think its the bigger mystery of meteorite community.
>We fight here who own which number, and for which specimens and TKW, and
>from the other side everyone selling unidentified stones as unofficial, not
>classified, Met Bulletin ghost number NWA869.
>
>:))

If I may make a guess on that question....

It hasn't been classified because nobody wants to stick their neck (and
reputation) out to put a number on one of the most variable meteorites.
Whatever class you will put on it someone will find a piece of it that
contradicts it.

What is needed is a doctoral student that could spend a couple of years
writing reports on this meteorite.

Anyone wants to hire me? I'm interested in that work.

   :-)

/G?ran