[meteorite-list] Newbie needs help identifying a meteorite(?)

From: Ron Kaye <moonshad_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 18 20:30:10 2005

About 30 years ago, I found a piece of metallic rock deeply embedded in
hard-packed earth out in the woods, with the ground around it charred to a
radius of about 18". Having extensive experience in foundry science, I could
ascertain that the item had been in a semi-plastic state upon impact, with
sand embedded in the face, and gas bubbles trailing along the outer surface
to a tapered rear edge.

I have had several geologists look at it, and none could identify it, except
to determine that it was non-ferrous and had no nickel alloys. Finally, a
metallurgist analyzed a small piece, and told me it was a metallic silica
compound. This was surprising, since at that time, there were only a few
places in the world with the capability of creating such a compound, and
none anywhere East Texas, where I found it. And no explanation could be
offered as to how it would come to be embedded in the ground with the
perimeter charred.

I have a couple of high-resolution scans of it, which I will either e-mail
or post if anyone is interested in seeing it. The story behind my finding it
is pretty interesting, which has played a significant role in my keeping the
piece all these years. I won't belabor the list with the story, as it has
little to do with meteorites, beyond my activities leading up to the
discovery.

If anyone on the list would be willing to help me determine just what the
thing is, please ping me privately.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, or just for listening.

Ron Kaye