[meteorite-list] OK -So, What, Where, When and How?

From: dfreeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 18 20:33:44 2005

Dear List;
What the heck, I'll give it a try!
Best spots to find a new find is where there are no or very few
terrestrial rocks now on the surface. Try areas of sand dunes, farm
fields of Kansas (where there aren't many earth rocks on the surface.
 Areas of erosion surfaces are best in any areas as depositional areas
will bury your potential finds even deeper.
Best strewnfields....Franconia, Gold basin come to mind first.
I like my GM-3 Whites but there are a number of pretty good models.
 Prerequisite, spend more than $200, do not waste money on Radioshack
junk. Magnets are nice if mounted on a stick. One can touch the
suspected meteorite while it is on the ground instead of picking up
millions of pieces of meteorwrongs. Always take a second look at all
rocks with the appearance of fusion crust even if they aren't magnetic
(Yahoo! Dave uses old knowledge to properly use the term magnetic). My
favorite tool are my eyes. I can see much more easily than I can swing a
detector all day. I can cover 20 times the area in this method. I am
speaking of cold hunting, not the middle of an active strewnfield here.
Any techniques I have invented are soon to be patented, sorry.
Avoid at all costs....hunting on private property with out permission of
the owner. Court costs, bail, forfiture of any found meteorites and
possibly loosing your vehichle and equiptment come to mind. That and
lead poisoning.

By asking so many questions, are you an officer of the law, or a
government official??????
It might be more helpful for you to read the list archives rather than
play 40 questions maybe.....
DF