[meteorite-list] Newbie needs help identifying a meteorite(?)

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 19 18:25:53 2005

Ron,

Just an afterthought. (I think I failed to include
the list in my previous response, but it said, in
short, that this absolutely does NOT sound like a
meteorite (or tektite, in reference to another reply).

But, what about a fulgurite??? These are never
metallic, but the "metallic silica compound"
description is broad enought to include
lechatelierite, And the sand grains fused to the
exterior fit just fine. Does it have a hollow glassy
interior?

As for the charred zone around it, I have never seen
such a thing in lightning-struck soils, but I have
seen essentially those exact dimensions in solid rock
on Ayers Rock, Australia.

Cheers,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com