Re-2: [meteorite-list] CH or CB Chondrite?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:54 2004

Alex wrote:

> So my question is: is the CB designation still just a proposal (made
> by the authors of these papers, and may be others), and has yet to
> arrive at a status of general acceptance by the scientific community?
> Should CH-BEN be abandoned? Are both of them valid side by side
> for the time being?

> Jeff Grossman, can you shed some light on this?

When Weisberg et al. wrote their comprehensive paper on
these primitive chondritic materials in 2001, they stated:

Herein, we r e c o m m e n d designation of the CB
(C, carbonaceous; B, bencubbinite) chondrites, a new
grouplet that greatly extends of nebular/metal silicate
and volatile element fractionations recorded in chondrites.
These CB chondrites have significant similarities to the
CR and CH chondrites, making theme part of the larger
CR clan (e.g., Weisberg et al., 1990, 1995b).

WEISBERG M.K. et al. (2001) A new metal-rich chondrite
grouplet - CB chondrites (MAPS 36-3, 2001, pp. 401-418).

So, at least, when the above paper was written and published,
these designations (CBa, CBb) were still preliminary but if it
still is ... well, Jeff may have more on this.

Cheers,

Bernd

To: ase_at_planet-interkom.de
Cc: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com