Re-2: [meteorite-list] CH or CB Chondrite?

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:55 2004

I'm as confused about these groups as everybody else. Here's what I can add:

The NomCom does not make official decisions about meteorite groups. In
fact, nobody in the Meteoritical Society does. It's just a matter of
accepted usage. Joern Koblitz does what other editors, including the
Editor of the Meteoritical Bulletin, do: he decides what to do for himself.

Personally, I remain skeptical about the CB chondrite group. I am not
convinced that all of its members are even chondrites! That especially
goes for Bencubbin, Gujba, and Weatherford. QUE 94411 and HaH 237 are
apparently chondritic. Together, these 5 meteorites are too heterogeneous
texturally and chemically to qualify as a single discrete group, in my
opinion. Anyway, if I was editing a publication, I would still say
"Bencubbin-like meteorites" for the first 3 and "Carb. chondrite,
ungrouped" for the latter two. I've never looked at NWA 1814, but it too
sounds "Bencubbin-like".

All you have to do is look at the titles of these papers that Bernd cited
to understand that there is no consensus yet about how to classify all of
these CR-clan meteorites. The CR group and, for the most part, the CH group
seem secure and well accepted. But the Bencubbin-like ones are still
unsettled, in my opinion.

jeff