[meteorite-list] CH or CB Chondrite?

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:54 2004

Thanks, Bernd, for your interesting answer. So both the papers by
Russell and Greshake tell us of a chondritic grouplet called CB, while
on the other hand the very latest version of MetBase (V6.0, issued
this summer) still has the CH-BEN type classification, and not CB.

Now, what makes me wonder is this: MetBase is authored by Joern
Koblitz, who in turn is a member of the NomCom of the Meteoritical
Society, which, I suppose, leads to the conclusion that he uses to
have fully accepted first-hand-information in his datafiles.

So my question is: is the CB designation still just a proposal (made
by the authors of these papers, and may be others), and has yet to
arrive at a status of general acceptance by the scientific community?
Should CH-BEN be abandoned? Are both of them valid side by side for
the time being?

Jeff Grossman, can you shed some light on this?

Alex Seidel
Berlin, Germany