[meteorite-list] New Asteroid Threat Seen (Asteroid 2003 QQ47)

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

But you never know. It could happen at any momnent
really. We don't have them all spotted as of yet. I
remember talking about this when I was working at
Lowwell Observatory 30 years ago. And one of the
astronomers said that an asteroid striking the earth
would probably be completely unnoticed before the
strike if it came from our perspective from the
position of the sun. I think he said that in that
case even earth based radar would not pick it up.

I think it is interesting that there are people out
there considering this scenario. At least we are
aware of it, and the potential problem that it could
cause for Mankind.

Strange thing about Man, there seems to be a
premonition sense to our beings. Could such a
disaster happen in our lifetimes? Maybe, but I hope
not. Could it happen to our children or their
children, maybe, but I hope not.

Will it happen in the distant future, or perhpas
nearer to out time?

Yes. Certainly.

And maybe then Mankind will have the means to avert
it, or at least be colonizing other plantets to
prevent the demise of our species.

Steve Schoner.