[meteorite-list] Re:New Asteroid Threat Seen (Asteroid 2003 QQ47)

From: MrX3010_at_aol.com <MrX3010_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

--part1_1e5.f533ea6.2c875e5c_boundary

Yes, the press likes to play up things quite a bit. However lets not shoot
the messengers here just because we dont like the potential message. The truth
is we are in a cosmic shooting gallery and have always been in one. There
have been untold impacts on our world so it's not as strange or out of the
ordinary as some may believe. Yes, people get used to hearing bad news then
eventually blow it off, oh well? If a major impactor were headed our way what could
your average Joe Shmoe do? Nothing so whether any of us choose to believe it
or not the threat is there and will be there.

The thing I dont understand is the rational of the world in dealing with this
likely threat. We are now at a point in our technological development to
deal with a credible threat if given enough time to do so. However it seems that
its not worth it to the powers that be, that fighting amongst ourselves is
more important than trying to avert the biggest threat to our world not our
nation or our land, but our entire planet.

Just my opinion,
Ron

--part1_1e5.f533ea6.2c875e5c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Yes, the press likes to play up things quite a bit.&nb=
sp; However lets not shoot the messengers here just because we dont like the=
 potential message.&nbsp; The truth is we are in a cosmic shooting gallery a=
nd have always been in one.&nbsp; There have been untold impacts on our worl=
d so it's not as strange or out of the ordinary as some may believe.&nbsp; Y=
es, people get used to hearing bad news then eventually blow it off, oh well=
? If a major impactor were headed our way what could your average Joe Shmoe=20=
do? Nothing so whether any of us choose to believe it or not the threat is t=
here and will be there.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
The thing I dont understand is the rational of the world in dealing with thi=
s likely threat.&nbsp; We are now at a point in our technological developmen=
t to deal with a credible threat if given enough time to do so.&nbsp; Howeve=
r it seems that its not worth it to the powers that be, that fighting amongs=
t ourselves is more important than trying to avert the biggest threat to our=
 world not our nation or our land, but our entire planet.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Just my opinion,<BR>
Ron</FONT></HTML>