[meteorite-list] New Asteroid Threat Seen (Asteroid 2003 QQ47)

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

Thank you for the update, Ron. I REALLY want a
banging-head-against-the-wall smiley for instances like this. An
astronomer(s) find(s) a new asteroid that MAY have an orbit that is
Earth-crossing. Immediately, the press runs amok with the data and screams
"Doomsday!" before waiting for more information. Not to mention every
nutbar who is 'talking with the aliens/spirits/God' and channeling their pet
delusions. For the people who are actually searching for real asteroid
threats, this sort of fearmongering is more dangerous than a potential
impactor, because the public gets desensitized. At least MSN got it right
with the Torino scale, but the rest was sensationalism.

Tracy Latimer