[meteorite-list] Re: Fwd: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2175659927

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:42 2004

Paul,

Very well said, and I was thinking along the same
lines, but had some difficulty (due to my recent
hospital stay) coming up with the right words.

What I have done is not to return any specimens that I
recieve. I state clearly that the pieces sent are, or
are not meteorites via e-mail.

Out of the thousands that I have recieved, only three
turned out to be meteorites.

I will from this time forward, catalog the extremely
rare legit meteorite samples with the names and
addresses of the senders. And in communcation with
the senders have the physical description of the piece
that I recieved, and or a photograph of it returned
with my reply.

Those deemed not to be meteorites will be kept for no
less than six months then discarded. But the
meteorites retained will be kept with the information,
and the recommendations for further testing.

One very astute dealer that I know reminded me that I
should never give out identification labels without
having filled them out fully, listing the specimen
weight and description.

This would minimize the label being used for something
that is not a meteorite, putting the person that
initially made the label at risk.

But with regards to the auction in question.... I have
never seen a Canyon Diablo so obviously off such as
this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2175659927

Something is very strange in this picture.

Like a Canyon Diablo meteorite with papers of
authenticity, but seeing an obvious slag instead.
Just look at the pictures of the pieces...

Looks like a duck...

Walks like a duck...

Is a...

Steve Schoner/AMS