[meteorite-list] Re: Fwd: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2175659927

From: LITIG8NSHARK_at_aol.com <LITIG8NSHARK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:42 2004

--part1_198.1a910a71.2bfd3f38_boundary

Good afternoon Folks,

As Steve rightly alludes to, any of us who provide written analysis findings
or, for that matter, certificates of authenticity, run the risk that these
documents may be used either negligently or fraudulently by a holder of the
document down the line.

Unfortunately, in the present circumstance, the entire document is not
photographed for display. We just don't know whether it describes the
specimen which was examined and which the document purports to authenticate.

Anyone wishing to perpetrate a fraud can take a valid analysis document or
COA and then pair it with a meteorwrong. Another somewhat less nefarious
situation might arise when only one or two samples out of a group are
submitted for authentication and the holder then either wrongly presumes, or
in an attempt to deceive, holds out the document as applying to an entire
group of specimens.

It follows that any analysis document or COA must, with specificity, describe
the specimen analyzed, and at minimum include its macroscopic physical
characteristics such as mass and dimensions. An additional safety measure
for the producer of the document would be to incorporate a photo or photos of
the specimen in the document.

Failure to take these basic precautions potentially leaves one open to
questions, allegations and a possible civil suit (winnable or not) that
ultimately will impact the producer of the document.

Best Regards,

Paul

In a message dated 5/21/2003 4:17:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com writes:

> It alarming to me, as it uses a letter from an
> standing IMCA member to "authenticate" items that are
> clearly, from the photos shown, NOT Canyon Diablo
> meteorites. The seller even posts the authentication
> letter in the auction picture pages.

--part1_198.1a910a71.2bfd3f38_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#80ffff"><FONT COLOR=
=3D"#0000ff" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Good af=
ternoon Folks,<BR>
<BR>
As Steve rightly alludes to, any of us who provide written analysis findings=
 or, for that matter, certificates of authenticity, run the risk that these=20=
documents may be used either negligently or fraudulently by a holder of the=20=
document down the line.<BR>
<BR>
Unfortunately, in the present circumstance, the entire document is not photo=
graphed for display.&nbsp; We just don't know whether it describes the speci=
men which was examined and which the document purports to authenticate.&nbsp=
; <BR>
<BR>
Anyone wishing to perpetrate a fraud can take a valid analysis document or C=
OA and then pair it with a meteorwrong.&nbsp; Another somewhat less nefariou=
s situation might arise when only one or two samples out of a group are subm=
itted for authentication and the holder then either wrongly presumes, or in=20=
an attempt to deceive, holds out the document as applying to an entire group=
 of specimens.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
It follows that any analysis document or COA must, with specificity, describ=
e the specimen analyzed, and at minimum include its macroscopic physical cha=
racteristics such as mass and dimensions.&nbsp; An additional safety measure=
 for the producer of the document would be to incorporate a photo or photos=20=
of the specimen in the document.<BR>
<BR>
Failure to take these basic precautions potentially leaves one open to quest=
ions, allegations and a possible civil suit (winnable or not) that ultimatel=
y will impact the producer of the document.<BR>
<BR>
Best Regards,<BR>
<BR>
Paul<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 5/21/2003 4:17:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, steve_schoner=
_at_yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"=
 style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #80ffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"A=
rial" LANG=3D"0">It alarming to me, as it uses a letter from an<BR>
standing IMCA member to "authenticate" items that are<BR>
clearly, from the photos shown, NOT Canyon Diablo<BR>
meteorites.&nbsp; The seller even posts the authentication<BR>
letter in the auction picture pages.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000ff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #80ffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_198.1a910a71.2bfd3f38_boundary--