[meteorite-list] re: Abo in Von Baumhauer 1844 (meteorites ON or through ice)

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Pekka wrote:

> anybody happen to have Baumhauer's catalog of meteorites (1844),
> there might be some information in it about one potential finnish
> one, Abo (Åbo) known before 1844. It may be a potential on ice
> case, but may be very difficult to have clear information about this.

Hello Pekka,

I had to be in the Library of the Boerhaave Museum today, so took the
opportunity to also check Von Bauhauer 1844 for you.

E. H. Von Baumhauer: "De ortu lapidum meteoricum, annexis duorum lapidus
analysibus chemicis". Dissertation, Utrecht University, Holland, 1844

The whole publication (his dissertation) is in Latin. Well, I did have one
year of Latin on High School, almost 20 years ago, but only the dramatic
sentence "Claudius, Claudius, serpens in horto est!" stuck into my mind, as
well as some historic quotes such as "Veni, Vidi, Vici"....so I had to reach
deep into my memory.

Anyway: the 'catalogue' part of it is a large table summing up al kinds of
historic fireball observations, with indicated whether a meteorite was
found. It does not give additional information (nor sources) however.

I scanned the catalogue, as well as the complete dissertation text, for Abo.
It is not mentioned. Maybe it is listed under another name. The catalogue
table list two entries for "Finnonia": one for 2 december 1804 (fireball, no
stones); and one with meteorites recovered for March 1814 (no further date
specified).

That's all there was.

- Marco

Marco Langbroek

marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl
meteorites_at_dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek

"What seest thou else
 In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

                            William Shakespeare
                            The Tempest act I scene 2