[meteorite-list] re: Abo in Von Baumhauer 1844 (meteorites ON or through ice)

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

Hello, Marco, Jarmo and the list,

well, think your latin is as good as mine..."alea jacta est" etc...;-

Thank you very much for the information. Think the Dec. 2:nd 1804
could be connected to the bolide mentioned in an old newspaper.
Jarmo Moilanen, who has studied more of the finnish meteorite mysteries,
have all information known at the moment on his site;

http://www.netppl.fi/~jarmom/geo/met/mabo_e.htm

Accoriding the newspaper Abo Tidning 18.04.1803 a bright fireball had
been seen on several areas in Finland on Dec 21:st 1803 Think the
difference
between dates can be understood, because this cataloque is printed on 1844,
and Abo (Åbo) was destroyed in a big fire on 1827. And as far as I know,
they
didn´t have e-mail in use then, so I suppose, 1 year difference could be
accepted,
but perhaps we´ll have more light also in this bolide one day, if we
could find
another newspaper(s) or other source(s), the bolide is mentioned.

The March 1814 fall is new at least to me, but this may be the dropper,
who knows. It
seems, the Åbo meteorite was also destroyed in a fire 1827, and only
piece left is 0.0012 kg...;-
So, "sic transit gloria mundi".

Term "Finnonia" makes sence, hard to find quickly other means than
Finland for that. Perhaps
we are now a bit closer to the truth of this case.

Jarmo is also the subscriber of the list, but I´ll send this also to him
to be sure
he gets this information.

thank you very much once again and best regards,

pekka