[meteorite-list] Hunters?

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:40 2004

> Just to clarify, what makes you think that I only hunt known strewnfields?
> I just listed some of the more remote far off places I have flown to in
> order to show the willingness to go anywhere as opposed to only flying
> to Chicago for a couple days like some of my competitors.

Sigh. Sometimes, Mike, I get the feeling you think the whole world is
out to get you. I can't even pay you a compliment without you seizing
on some aspect of my message that you worry might take something away
from your meteorite hunting reputation. Everyone knows you travel
the world over to chase down the latest falls -- and kudos to you
for doing so! Few could match your exploits in this department.

> I have hunted cold more times than I can count. Unfortunately I
> have yet to find a new meteorite all to myself.

Well, as I pointed out in my earlier message, this takes a different
level of commitment and doggedness. That you've had great success with
strewnfields, but not yet with cold hunting, only hammers home my point
that blind hunting is a different beast -- one with its own learning
curve and strategies. Most people don't have the patience for it,
but sooner or later I'm sure your efforts will pay off.

Best,
Rob