[meteorite-list] Dakhla Dog photo

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:11 2004

Mike,
I looked into www.inside.net and it is a valid website. It would seem to me
that you may have a virus that is copying emails to someone at Inside.net.
Having worked on as an email administrator in my last life, I can tell you a
little about the "Mail Marshall" that is sending the message. It is looking
for Spam, it is doing this by evaluating the subject line of your email. Now
the part that makes me think it is a virus is that the mail marshall is
rejecting your email for a bunch of expressions that were supposedly in your
message...such as the words "click here", which it shows was triggered twice
as shown here:

Expression: click here Triggered 2 times weighting 90

Since the message about the dog photo does not contain those words I have to
believe that something is replicating itself and send email without your
knowledge. The "actual" email address that it went to before the mail
marshall software rejected it was astro-archive_at_inside.net which looks to be
a valid email, but whatever the virus sent to that addy had words in the
subject line and the body of the message that the mail marshall ascertained
to be Spam. Some of the words it rejected were: Click Here, Free, hi, re:,
and click below. When a virus is using your address book to replicate itself
it usually starts at the top of your addresses with the letter "A".

I would recommend a simple test.

Add to your address book an invalid email address that will always be at the
top of your addresses such as the one I use which is !0000_at_!0000.com
<WormALERT>. What this will do is bounce, since the email address is not
valid it will come right back, since you will never really use this addy to
send mail to, if it bounces you will know that you have a virus using your
email addresses. If you use the email !0000_at_!0000.com it will always be the
very first address in your list and 99% of the viruses I have encountered
will start at the first entry in your address book, with the bogus addy at
the top it will bounce back and let you know you have virus.

If you actually copied astro-archive_at_inside.net on that email then I would
look at any signatures you might be adding that have those words above in
the signature. Mail Marshall allows you to setup rules to stop spam, you
give each word a score. When the score exceeds a certain number, the email
is reject and the message is sent that you received.

My bet is that you have a Worm Virus and are not aware that it is on your
PC. There are a couple of new ones out there that install as the email is
being downloaded to your PC. By the time you can delete them from your New
Message list the damage is already done.

Hope this helps.....

Mark M.
Phoenix AZ