[meteorite-list] Meteorite Contest #5

From: Mark Bostick <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:11 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2361A.B9AF05A0

Hello Everybody,

First I would like to thank everybody that responded. I did recieve a =
couple of entries that were only sent to me. Since they were in =
violation of the one of the couple rules I had, they are not being =
counted towards the contest. With that out of the way......

The best book outside of the Norton dual, in my humble opinion, is Find =
a Falling Star by Ninninger. Ninninger's account is both entertaining =
and educational. It is almost a group of mini-stories so that one can =
pick it up in the middle a read a chapter and not be lost. Ninninger =
bias all the way it is a must read.=20

There are several other books that are good reads that were not =
mentioned, Man and Meteorites is one, Falling Stars by Mike Reynold's is =
another. Falling Stars at $12.95 retail, is prehaps the best value in =
Meteorite Books. Mike Martinez and Ron Hartman both carry the title. =20

The meteorite book I would most like to read is the book that has the =
letters of Barringer concerning Meteor Crater. Sorry I dont remember the =
name of it but I find it missing in my collection.=20

The meteorite book I would like to see Richard Norton write is a book =
covering thin sections. I see he has now started a feature in Meteorite =
Magazine (Here's a hint: subscribe) on the Petrology of Meteorites so I =
imagine thin sections will be the focuse. However, a nice 300-400 page =
book descibing in detail the meteorites in thin section and in polished =
slice form would be a handy tool for those that collect thin sections =
(like myself).=20

And now the winners of METEORITE CONTEST #5......

1. Bob King,, Best book; Find a Falling Star, Book Bob would like to =
read; the un-written African meteorite book, book Norton should write; =
biography of meteorite collectors.

2. Greg Redfern, Best book; Meteorites by Dr. Oliver Cummings 1915, Book =
Greg would like to read; On the Origin of the Mass of Iron Discovered by =
Pallas and Others Similar to It, and on Some Natural Phenomena Related =
to Them", book Norton should write; a WHOLE BOOK on our passion of =
finding and collecting rocks from space.

3. Mark Fox, Best Book, Meteorites: Their Impact On Science And History, =
edited by Brigitte Zanda and Monica Rotaru, Book Mark would like to =
read; Find A Falling Star, book Norton should write; ...a book =
discussing for the first time that I'm aware of, as to the existence of =
meteor streams that are made up of large bodies that can strike the =
earth's surface.=20

If the above winners will send me yours addresses I will send out the =
prizes to you. Thanks again to all for entering.=20

And with that I will give honorable mention to Walter Branch, who used =
the word meteorite or meteorites a lot but had the following =
suggestions.=20

Find a Falling Star, "Thunderstones and Shooting Stars: The Meaning of =
Meteorites" and Phil Bagnel's "The meteorite and Tektite Collectors =
Handbook" All three are great reads and reasonably priced books.=20

Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2361A.B9AF05A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Hello Everybody,</P>
<P>First I would like to thank everybody that responded. I did recieve a =
couple=20
of entries that were only sent to me. Since they were in violation of =
the one of=20
the couple rules I had, they are not being counted towards the contest. =
With=20
that out of the way......</P>
<P>The best book outside of the Norton dual, in my humble opinion, is =
Find a=20
Falling Star by Ninninger. Ninninger's account is both entertaining and=20
educational. It is almost a group of mini-stories so that one can pick =
it up in=20
the middle a read a chapter and not be lost. Ninninger bias all the way =
it is a=20
must read. </P>
<P>There are several other books that are good reads that were not =
mentioned,=20
Man and Meteorites is one, Falling Stars by Mike Reynold's is =
another.&nbsp;=20
Falling Stars at $12.95 retail,&nbsp;is prehaps the best value in =
Meteorite=20
Books. Mike Martinez and Ron Hartman both carry the title.&nbsp; =
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"></P>
<P>The meteorite book I would most like to read is the book that has the =
letters=20
of Barringer concerning Meteor Crater. Sorry I dont remember the name of =
it but=20
I find it missing in my collection. </P>
<P>The meteorite book I would like to see Richard Norton write is a book =

covering thin sections. I see he has now started a feature in Meteorite =
Magazine=20
(Here's a hint: subscribe) on the Petrology of Meteorites so I imagine =
thin=20
sections will be the focuse. However, a nice 300-400 page book descibing =
in=20
detail the meteorites in thin section and in polished slice form would =
be a=20
handy tool for those that collect thin sections (like myself). </P>
<P>And now the winners of METEORITE CONTEST #5......</P></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>
<P>1. Bob King,, Best book; Find a Falling Star, Book Bob would like to =
read;=20
the un-written African meteorite book, book Norton should write; =
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT size=3D3>biography of meteorite=20
collectors.</FONT></P></FONT><FONT size=3D2>
<P>2. Greg Redfern, Best book; </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D3>Meteorites by Dr. Oliver Cummings 1915,</FONT><FONT size=3D2> =
Book Greg=20
would like to read; </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>On =
the Origin of=20
the Mass of Iron Discovered by Pallas and Others Similar to It, and on =
Some=20
Natural Phenomena Related to Them"</FONT><FONT size=3D2>, book Norton =
should=20
write; </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT size=3D3>a WHOLE BOOK =
on our=20
passion of finding and collecting rocks from =
space.</FONT></P></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>
<P>3. Mark Fox, Best Book, </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D3>Meteorites: Their Impact On Science And History, edited by =
Brigitte Zanda=20
and Monica Rotaru, </FONT><FONT size=3D2>Book Mark would like to read;=20
</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Find A Falling Star, =
</FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>book Norton should write; </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"><FONT=20
size=3D3>...a book discussing for the first time that I'm aware of, as =
to the=20
existence of meteor streams that are made up of large bodies that can =
strike the=20
earth's surface. </FONT></P>
<P>If the above winners will send me yours addresses I will send out the =
prizes=20
to you. Thanks again to all for entering. </P></FONT><FONT size=3D2>
<P>And with that I will give honorable mention to Walter Branch, who =
used the=20
word meteorite or meteorites a lot but had the following suggestions.=20
</P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">
<P>Find a Falling Star, "Thunderstones and Shooting Stars: The Meaning =
of=20
Meteorites" and Phil Bagnel's "The meteorite and Tektite Collectors =
Handbook"=20
All three are great reads and reasonably priced books. </P>
<P>Mark Bostick "The Big =
Collector"</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2361A.B9AF05A0--