[meteorite-list] 15 minutes worth of fame...

From: Stuart Forbes <stuart.forbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:39 2004

>Anyone have any kind one-liners for deflecting people intent on a
>discussion of the spiritual qualities of meteorites,

I once asked a "tree-hugging hippie" type (apologies to anyone on the list
who thinks they may fit this description!) why it was that meteorites seem
to have the same spiritual qualities, but come in different varieties (i.e.
irons have the same effect as achondrites). Let into a discussion on
meteorite petrology, giving a confirmed new-age hippie a short lecture in
hard science!

>or confirming that
>they HAVE a meteorite(wrong), neither of which I am really qualified to
>do?

I always try and work out what it actually is: "no, its not a meteorite,
but, you know, I think (look at it closely) it could be from a dolerite
sill/300 million year old magma chamber/ocean floor sediment from 100
million years before the dinosaurs/etc, etc. Even if its not a meteorite,
then it could be something just as interesting. Of course if you don't know,
try the "I can't say for sure, but yes, maybe it is/no it probably isn't,
and refer them somewhere else.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland