[meteorite-list] Thin Sections

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Subject: Thin Sections
To: meteorite-list_at_yahoo.com
From: meteorites_at_space.com
Date: 03 Jul 2001 00:06:29 PDT

With regards to the recent developments in meteorite thin sections I think that Dean Bessey must be applauded. His efforts are opening up a whole new feild of meteorite collecting that will in the long term be very rewarding as well a productive to the hobby.

Thin sections reveal their identity by virtue of their structure, and not so much their weight. Previously they were virtually unobtainable, but now for reasonable prices some very rare as well as interesting meteorites can be had. And each has its signature clearly evident in its minerology.

The identity of such can not be disputed.

In the future I see an expanding market for these, and a great reference source for those really interested in the study of meteorites.

As a collector I think that my focus will be directed more toward these than having larger specimens-- especially the rare Lunar and Martian ones, where their identity can be confirmed by use of a petrologic microscope.

And what beautiful things they are when viewed with such an instrument!

Regards,
Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey

Join the Space Program: Get FREE E-mail at http://www.space.com.